JUST IN

ADB assures support to SL development plans

CSE records all-time high in foreign purchases

There is a ‘fuel mafia’ within the CPC -Arjuna

Prime Minister arrives in New Delhi

Gintota unrest due to extremists -JVP

13 killed in Barcelona van attack


2017-08-18

A manhunt is underway for the driver of a van that mowed through crowds of tourists on Barcelona’s most famous avenue yesterday killing at least 13 people in an attack that was claimed by Islamic State.

Authorities said the death toll could rise, with more than 100 people injured, some seriously.

Police said they arrested two men, a Moroccan and a man from Spain though neither was the driver.

Witnesses said the driver fled on foot. It was still not clear how many attackers had been involved.

Hours beforehand, one person was killed in an explosion in a house in a town southwest of Barcelona, in an incident linked to the attack.

As the manhunt continued into the night, police said several attackers were killed in a shootout during an operation against what they called a possible “terror attack” in Cambrils.

Earlier in Barcelona, witnesses said the white van zigzagged at high speed ramming pedestrians and cyclists, sending some hurtling through the air and leaving bodies strewn in its wake.

Spanish police say they have killed four people in Cambrils to stop what they say was a second attempted attack after an earlier one in Barcelona.

Police warned people to stay off the streets, with shots reported in the port of Cambrils.

Spain’s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said it was a “jihadist attack”.

Spanish media reported that the Cambrils attackers struck several people with a van early on Friday morning, leaving them injured, in what appeared to be an attempt to replicate the Barcelona attack.