Death toll due to Typhoon Hagibis rises to 40

2019-10-14 at 13:20

More than 110,000 people are taking part in search and rescue operations after Typhoon Hagibis struck Japan on Saturday.

Rescue workers waded through muddy, waist-high waters searching for missing people after one of the worst typhoons to hit Japan in recent history, with rain forecast to resume later in the day.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said vast areas had been struck by the storm and called for urgent support to the affected.

Public broadcaster NHK said at least 40 people were killed in the typhoon that left vast sections of towns in central and eastern Japan under water, with another 16 missing and 189 injured.

Abe said “There still are many residents who have yet to be accounted for. Our people in uniform are working day and night in search and rescue operations.”