‘Leave out politics from COVID-19 mitigation steps’

2020-10-23 at 19:51

Leader of the Opposition Sajith Premadasa has requested Minister of Health Pavithra Wanniarachchi to refrain from including politics into COVID-19 mitigation suggestions put forward by the Opposition.

Speaking in Parliament he said the Opposition’s requests and propositions were not politically motivated against the government.

The Parliamentarian stressed coronavirus knows no caste or creed difference and political affiliation.

MP Premadasa accused the Health Minister of hypocrisy for openly criticizing his medicinal suggestions and thereafter importing the same drug.

Also speaking in Parliament, Parliamentarian Dr. Rajitha Senaratne said Sri Lanka’s coronavirus mortality rate as a percentage to infected persons is positive, adding it could be better PCR testing was increased.

The MP commended health authorities for controlling the spread of the virus and increasing testing up to 8,000 daily.

However, MP Senaratne noted that 60% of these results were accurate while the other 40% were false.

Therefore, he reiterated the World Health Organisation’s guidelines to continuously conduct PCR tests.