Lewis Hamilton tests positive for coronavirus

2020-12-01 at 13:20

Seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after testing positive for coronavirus.

His team, Mercedes, said the Briton woke with mild symptoms on Monday and returned a positive result at a subsequent test and again at a retest.

Mercedes say a replacement will be named in due course.

“Apart from mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well and the entire team sends him our very best wishes for a swift recovery,” a statement said.

Mercedes said Hamilton, 35, was tested three times last week, including on Sunday at the Bahrain International Circuit, and returned a negative result on each occasion.

However, as well as waking with mild symptoms on Monday, he was also informed that a contact “prior to arrival in Bahrain” had tested positive.

Hamilton is the third F1 driver to test positive for coronavirus this season following Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll.